Friday 2 October 2015

Loyalty Programs - case of Orlen Oil

Company background Orlen is polish national oil company, that has the biggest petrol stations chain in Poland. Case study Orlen, as most of the petrol stations companies (Shell, Statoil, BP) runs a loyalty program, where customers gather points on their loyalty cards by purchasing petrol and other products at the stations. Current Analysis I am very good customer, I get involved in the loyalty programmes, always looking for "extras", "promotions", "rewards" for being loyal. Therefore, I have decided to fill up my tank for a year mainly (if possible) at Orlen stations. I have a loyalty card which I use each time. After almost a year: My current points: 11 823 By driving regulary to work and once a month further trip - I get about 1000 points a month. What can I get after 11 months of loyalty? One of these:
  • 1 CD (Amy Winehouse, Rihanna)
  • 1 audiobook
  • Umbrella and a hat
  • Two toy cars
  • Thermo cup
  • Coffee 250g
  • 10 hot dogs
  • 10 coffees
  • 11 soups
  • Charity projekts
Breakthrough analysis After a year of being regular and loyal customer, I found myself dissatisfied with the rewards I am getting. They are of very low value (in terms of money or satisfaction/experience). This makes me analyse other companies loyalty programmes if they would be more rewarding. I believe that Orlen should reconsider the loyalty system that it would reward regular drivers, not only big trucks drivers, who I suppose get good rewards. Ideas and recommendations
  • Points scale - this should be recalculated
  • Rewards appropriate to the place (while travelling) - special offers on car music, games for kids, car accessories
It's great that brands are trying do build loyalty programmes and reward customers for being regular, loyal. However, I believe that these rewards should be in touch with the amount of money customer spends (at Orlen people spend a lot on petrol). Furthermore, there should be more competitions or bonuses. Maybe it's time to expand loyalty programmes into building brand community, social network of people around a brand. Looking at Orlen and it's marketing, sponsorship activities, there is a big potential to build a community around a brand. Example: Orlen is sponsoring the Polish Volleyball Team and National Volleyball League. I am a big fan of volleyball and Orlen customer. But, other than one competition during the summer, I have not felt the connection between those two "events/situations". This could be easily accomplished if connected properly.   Orlen has a huge base of customers - loyal, regular, trusting. Why not engage them, reward properly, thank them, encourage to engage in Orlen's actvities? Build community of fans.

No comments:

Post a Comment