Friday 2 October 2015

Cross sale in confectionery

My son recently had his first birthday and for that occasion we have thrown a party. My wife ordered a cake with Winnie-the-Pooh, which turned out great. However she asked me to pick it up and gave me all advices not to destroy it (be careful! keep it on the floor in a car! drive slowly!). So I went to the confectionery to pick it up. While purchasing I have asked for a candle (they make nowadays fancy once with a number!). How shocked have I been when a sales person said that they do not have any... Seriously? You are selling birthday cakes and you do not have any products to support, fulfill? I would have:
  • candles - with the numbers and regular - in all funny shapes and colors
  • cards - for any occasion (birthdays, weddings, 18, 30, 50)
  • ribbons
  • balloons
  • fancy packaging for the whole cake or small portions (for guests that didn't come)
  • napkins for cake
  • decorative plates and cutlery (plastic)
  • name tags
  • plastic hats for the party
  • frame for the photo with the cake
I would turn this single sale to the complete package - and I would bet that this would save a lot of hassle to many customers = make them happy! ... Instead I had to go to 5 shops to find old, regular candles - and I had to purchase whole package, while I needed only one... (there is not enough for my birthday unfortunately...)

No comments:

Post a Comment